Happy at Home

Rhodes is one week old today, and life at home with him has been absolute bliss.  

I was unsure how I could love someone as much as I loved Ryder, but I have been proved wrong.  I love these two children so much, I love that Ryder is Rhodes' big brother and I love that Rhodes' is Ryder's little brother.  Ryder is totally smitten with him and loves to kiss him on the lips, cheek and head.  When I take Rhodes into his room to change his diaper, Ryder runs to get his stool so he can stand up and watch.  I love when Ryder leans over Rhodes' bassinet and grins real big and says, "Hey Rhodesy Rhodes."  When visitors come over he runs to the door and says, "Come look at my baby brother, he's so cute!"

Don't get me wrong about what I'm about to say.  I loved Ryder to pieces when he was born, but I have to admit it's different this time.  It's different because I know what I have to look forward to.  With Ryder, it was just a whirlwind of emotions, sleepless nights, not knowing what the heck I was doing, and I looked forward to his naps so I could just get a break.  Now, I realize how fast Ryder grew up and now all I want to do is soak up my time with Rhodes and enjoy each and every minute.  I can remember last time around I would beg JM to get up in the middle of the night to bring Ryder in to let me feed him and then I begged him to change him and put him back to sleep so I could sleep, I remember being unbearably tired.  This time I have gotten up with Rhodes every single time and put him back to sleep because I want to.  JM has offered to help me where he could, but I just tell him to sleep so I can hog my little baby.  I know the time will come when I am ready for some relief, but for now I'm just enjoying every bit of him.

And nothing brings me more joy than sitting on the couch with Rhodes over my shoulder and Ryder cuddled up to me.  Some times I sit there and look at them both with tears in my eyes, feeling so lucky and even more blessed. 

I kept Ryder home from school Tuesday and Wednesday to keep us company, it's hard sending him to school while I'm home, especially since Rhodes has basically done nothing but sleep since we came home from the hospital on Saturday.  My mom stayed with us Sunday and Monday nights, my sister stayed Tuesday night and JM's mom spent the day Wednesday, so I don't think I would've had the energy to keep him home if it hadn't been for them.

Grandaddy is so proud of his Wilson boys

Day we came home from the hospital, seems like a month ago.  How has it only been a week?

Day 2 at home, CC helping me give Rhodes his first bath.

CC filing Rhodes fingernails, that takes major patience!

Doing what he does best... ZZzzzzzz
(believe me, I know this will change soon)

Kayla came to help me and not just with the kids.  She helped me do some major organizing.
Funny story.  Before Kayla got started organizing she said if she had an energy drink she could do some major damage so I called JM to pick up an energy drink and a couple other "new mother" items from the store.  He said he had "Newborn At Home" plastered all over his forehead when he set his items down on the store counter: Nursing Pads, Lanolin Cream, and a Monster Energy Drink.

Rhodes in the bouncy

Ryder at the same age in the same bouncy - do they look alike?

Little tummy time, look at big brother already being the encourager!

Anna Terrell got the boys these matching shirts, RJW 1 and RJW 2

Ryder adores him!

 We were so happy when Nanni came to help.

A couple funny things Ryder has said related to life with a new baby.
  • As soon as he came in to see me right after Rhodes was born he pointed at me and said, "but mama, is your big belly still there?
  • While the lady was cleaning Rhodes he yelled out "HEY, what's she doing to him?  HEY look at his weenie!!"
  • Ryder has been oblivious to the whole nursing situation, he hasn't even noticed.  But the other day he walked in and I was feeding and Ryder said, "Mama what are you doing to him?"  I told him Rhodes was eating.  He said, "But he's eating YOU!!!"
  • Since we got home from the hospital JM has been sleeping in Ryder's room with him so I wouldn't wake him.  Last night JM slept in our bed and sometime during the night we heard Ryder calling out, Daaaady, Daaaady.  JM went in his room and he was sitting up crying and JM asked what was wrong.  He replied in the saddest little voice, "But there's not a daddy in my bed."

No comments:

Post a Comment