10/12/2011

Way Back WHENsday

I know I'm a dweeb, but here's my new clever blog segment, Way Back WHENsday.  If this already exists in the blog world, I didn't know it.  I came up with it all by myself :)  I do love a good memory and I'm going to try my best to come up with a good one each Wednesday.

Believe it! Hyper Color!

But wait... this is how hyper color advertised... And our parents let us wear them?  Looks a little scandalous if you ask me.

And gross, who wants to wear a shirt that smells like breath all the time.  Apparently we all did.

Nothing would make me happier than to post an image of myself in 1992 wearing mine... but I have no clue where that would be.  It's too bad.

---------------------

John Michael and I went to Orange Beach / Gulf Shores last Thursday through Sunday.  It was a great time of year to be there, still lots of people but not congested.  And weather couldn't have been more perfect.  I didn't get many pictures since our favorite subject wasn't there, but I tried to at least get a couple.

Taking Ryder to school on our way out of town, he doesn't look too upset about us leaving.

Although we missed Ryder dearly, we got to enjoy the parts of the beach that are a little more difficult with a toddler, so we soaked it up.  Things such as...

Enjoying a book and not looking up once.

Visiting the lovely Flora Bama.  If you are ever in need of an esteem booster, just drop by the FB, you'll leave feeling great about yourself.  Just remember to leave your bra before you go...

Watching the State/UAB game at the Hangout

Speaking of way back when, look at the fun metal lunchboxes on the wall at the Hangout.

Good times.  The weekend flew by, but was much needed and very appreciated.

---------------

Parent of the year award (not being sarcastic) for the following:  We got home from the beach at 1:30 and by 3:00 we were beyond exhausted, but nevertheless, loaded up in the car headed to take Ryder to the fair (another esteem boosting venue - the people these days, sheeeeesh)

Gearing up for carousel ride, nervous

Holding on for dear life - both dad and child

The only other thing he could ride due to being vertically challenged was Bumblebee.  It seemed to suit him just fine though.

Since the giant slide is one size fits all, he rode that too.

Next we ventured to the farm area and the nice pig owner asked Ryder if he wanted to pet her pig.  I started to cringe for obvious reasons, but I kept my mouth shut.  JM was humiliated when as soon as he took his hand off the pig I was already squeezing the sanitizer.

---------------------

Ryder enjoys wearing Mr. Potato Head's glasses, he wears them all the time.  I'm assuming he thinks they fit, he's never actually seen himself in them.

"Hmmm, let me see what's in this drawer here"


Thank goodness for the glasses, or else he wouldn't be able to read the dosage.


Ryder's teacher took his picture the other day, can't get over this cheezin.

---------------

If you love the crock pot and aren't afraid to use frozen not fresh ingredients, this is for you:

CROCK POT CHEESY POTATO SOUP
1 32 oz bag frozen diced hash browns, thawed
1 medium stalk celery, diced (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup frozen chopped onion (from 12oz bag), thawed
1 32 oz. carton chicken broth
1 cup water
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
8 oz. shredded cheese
Bacon bits (the kind in the bag)
4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)

In crockpot, mix potatoes, onion, celery, broth and water.  Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.  In a small bowl, mix flour into milk and stir into potato mixture.  Increase setting to High.  Cover, and cook 20-30 more minutes or until mixture thickens.  Stir in cheese until melted.  Garnish individual servings with bacon and green onions.  Can also sprinkle with pepper.
Sidenote:  We did not use the green onions.  Also, this was really good last night, but even better for lunch today.  Just add a salad and cornbread and supper's ready.

1 comment: