Second Honeymoon

John Michael and I are going to Austin on Thursday for the Austin City Limits Music Festival.  We're going to consider it our second honeymoon.  Since going on our real honeymoon in Jamaica, we have been on lots of vacations since we got married 3 1/2 years ago.  We've been back to Jamaica again, San Francisco, Breckenridge, lots of trips to New Orleans, Beach trips, lots of away State games, New Braunfels, but each and every one of these trips have been with other people.  This will be the first time since our honeymoon that we are going on vacation with just the two of us.  I'm trying not to think about having to leave Ryder right now, because it makes me really sad, but the good thing is we will be back Saturday after lunch so we'll have the rest of the weekend with him.


We had a GREAT time this past weekend.  It was the first weekend since I can remember that we didn't have to be anywhere.  Friday, I got off work around 1:00 and ran a few errands, picked up Ryder, got dressed and headed to Burgers and Blues with JM, Ryder and JM's parents.  It was a great atmosphere and perfect for Ryder since we were eating outside and he got to play instead of sit in that mean high chair that he despises so. 

Guess it's time to put safety's on the door knob

When I tell Ryder to brush the horse's hair, he pats it.  Very sweet.

I put Ryder to bed most nights, but sometimes on the weekends JM does it.  When we got home from eating I guess JM was so exhausted that when it was time to put Ryder down, he said if I put him down he would go shopping with me on Saturday (I told you he was exhausted, he must've been sleep-talking).  So, Saturday morning we got up, I cleaned the house and lit fall candles everywhere.  My dad and Kayla came over to see Ryder, we watched the State game, and then once we were whooping them pretty bad, JM said we could leave to go shop (maybe he wasn't sleep-talking after all!).  One of our stops was Gap, so that we could get Ryder a belt for his skinny little waist.  He loved staring at and touching the weird statues outside of Gap. 

Ryder's belt, worn with love.

On the way home we stopped by the grocery store and got stuff to grill out.  JM cooked hamburgers and I made Bread Boat Sausage Dip.

Bread Boat Sausage Dip:
2 pounds ground sausage
1 8 oz package cream cheese
16 oz sour cream
4 cups shredded mexican blend cheese
1 10 oz can rotel tomatos
1 4 oz can green chiles
2 loafs french bread

Brown sausage; drain.  Stir in all ingredients, then remove from heat.  Cut off the top of the french bread and scoop out the center.  Fill with dip, wrap in aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  Serve with fritos.  Serves 15-20.

When we pulled up to the grocery store, Ryder was asleep so I stayed in the car and gave John Michael the list, which included ingredients for this dip, fritos and aluminum foil.  When we got home, I began to unload the groceries and pulled out a great big box of this: 

Which is apparently the same thing as aluminum foil to John Michael.  When I pulled it out, I looked at him (with that look) and all I said was, "Reynold's Wrap."  He said, "That's what I got."  I said no, I need Reynold's Wrap a/k/a Aluminum Foil."  He said he thought Reynold's Wrap and Cling Wrap were the same thing (???).  Luckily we had enough foil at the house and used what we had.  So now, we have two giant boxes of Cling Wrap, which we never use because it sucks and it doesn't stick to anything.  So, if you're in the neighborhood and need some Cling Wrap, just holler.

On Sunday we got up and went to church.  Before we left, Ryder wanted to go outside and get some fresh air.  And when I say he was getting some fresh air, he was gulping it down.  Look at that mouth wide open.  It's his new look, seriously.

After church, we decided on Cracker Barrell for lunch. We didn't make it out of the church parking lot before Ryder's eyes started rolling in the back of his head, so instead John Michael went up to the office for a bit and I cleaned up the house some more while he napped.  When JM got home, we all went to the golf course with our friends Lindsey and Todd so the guys could shoot 9 holes.  Ryder was right at home in his golf cart since his Grandaddy and Nanni have one.  He looooves to ride in it, but only in the driver's lap.  I was taking offense that he did NOT want to ride in my lap.  Of course, once I got in the driver's seat he was all mine.

When we got home, I made Chicken and Dumplings, Black Eyed Peas and Cheesy Italian Garlic Bread for dinner and my mom came over and gave Ryder his bath while I finished cooking.  She came at just the right time, not only because she "got" to bathe Ryder (YES!!) but because she also got to take home some grub.  Let me just say, I like to bathe Ryder, but boy do I love when someone else does it sometimes!
Cheesy Italian Garlic Bread
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 cup shredded montery jack cheese
1 loaf french bread, halved lengthwise

Mix mayo, butter, parmesan cheese, garlic, italian seasoning, and seasoned salt until smooth.  Stir in Montery Jack cheease.  Spread over cut sides of bread.  Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 for 12 minutes, until cheese is melted.  Slice and serve warm.  Makes 12 servings.


I know I've said it before, but Ryder is so strong!

Ryder and I were playing in the living room yesterday.  I went to the kitchen to do something and came right back and his pants were under his feet.  I don't know how he got them off.  Then I noticed a really powerful smell.  I couldn't blame him for wanting to get out of those pants!!!

Ryder loves this water hose.  Loves it.  I hate it's getting cold because it can really keep him busy.

I took Ryder to TJ Maxx with me and he would have it no other way but to push the cart.  So everyone stared at us as I held up his body and let him put his hands on the handle.  He was grinning ear to ear.

When I couldn't take the stares any longer, nor the pain in my right arm, I let him push it from the ground.
He will not sit in the cart.  As I've mentioned before, he MUST be in control.

A few facts:
-He is getting two more top teeth, for a grand total of six.
-When we say to dance, he knows exactly what that means.  It's the funniest when he is in his carseat.  The middle section of his body is really still and with a super size grin on his face he bobs his head and kicks his feet around... and to the beat might I add.
-When I ask where his head is, he puts his hands there.
-When I count to five, he now repeats each number after me, in a very slurred version of course.
-He is getting better at walking, but it's still not his transportation of choice.
-He'll be thirteen months on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment